Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Gov. Cacieri wants to be our Education Governor

This always worries me. Whenever any politician says this it usually means bad news for schools. More programs, more rules & regs, less of what is really needed. He wants to concentrate on urban education.

Below the Projo headlines there is also a major article on, "R.I. exodus: Losing the young, ambitious." We are one of only four states (inc. La.) losing population. The Census Bureau says that for the third consecutive year we are losing young college grads. There are few jobs & little housing that they can afford. Hello, Guv, welcome to my world that my family lives in.

So what are we educating these urban youngsters for - more low paying service jobs? What I'd like to know is, is this an example of an oxymoron or just plain irony? Antonym perhaps?

The only Guv I ever saw actually improve education was when DiPrete put computers in all the school libraries. The rest of my time I saw level-funding with a lot more regs but little to actually fund them.

No comments: