Monday, March 05, 2007

Rep. Rice Wants Insurance Co-Pay

Rep. Amy Rice (Dist. 73) has introduced sister legislation to a Senate bill calling for the lege & general officers to pay 10% of their health care costs. "Rice said she put in her bill out of 'fairness to the state employees' who already contribute to their health care."

"So will Rice, even if her bill fails, voluntarily pay part of her health-care cost, as some of her colleagues are already doing? 'I haven’t thought about that. I’m not sure,' Rice told Political Scene the other day."

I haven't been in favor on the Lege paying for their health care coverage as their salary is so low (about $12,500). I do think that everyone ought to pay something for their health care coverage though, if for no other reason than to make them aware that these services are costly. In the past the Lege has seemed oblivious to Blue Cross or other health care costs and perhaps this is why. I've often wondered if most of them even know the cost of health care plans.

I think that we expect an awful lot from our Lege without paying them much in return. I'm a big believe in "you get what you pay for." With so many highly complex issues on the agenda, it's not unreasonable to place discussion of a longer legislative year and hours on it. Our lege don't even have offices or staffers.

It's not unreasonable to expect general officers making over $100,000/yr. to help pay for their health insurance, but poorly paid legislators, too? And 10%? I also wonder if those eager to jump on the bandwagon already have spouses/retirement plans with health insurance coverage. Like the Guv.

However I do expect that this is a political move in a non-election year which will get buried. We'll see.

Thanks again to Projo.

No comments: