Thursday, November 30, 2006

Rep. Long Says That His Wife Lies

Projo has an article just up. “I understand some pretty bad things are being said about me … everybody’s got dirty laundry in the closet.” Yeah, like coke addiction (hey, isn't possessing it illegal?), spousal abuse, tax "errors," & letting his family live in near-poverty. Sure, we all make mistakes, but we don't run for public office and expect that not only this will be kept quiet but that the electors will tolerate it.
"She has accused her ex-husband of low-balling his true income in divorce proceedings, and therefore not paying the proper amount of support. 'All I asked him for was an additional $25 per week for food,' she said. 'And he said no. I just couldn’t take anymore. He’s been on two vacations the past six weeks and he’s supposed to be going on a cruise in February. And I just couldn’t take anymore."
"Though the representative, who was reelected three weeks ago, does acknowledge: 'On the tax stuff, there’s an issue that needs to be dealt with, and I’m dealing with that.' He says he hired an accountant who will review his records with the IRS, and he promised to quickly make good on any liability....Long, not the first representative to be embarrassed by back taxes, said he has no intention of leaving the House. "I don’t feel any reason I should leave,' he said. 'I’ve held my office with honor. I’ve been honored to be asked 14 times to be the representative.'"

Nice. What a surprise. Not much honor now, is there?