Sunday, November 19, 2006

Democrats Have No Morals

I had a conversation with a "die hard" Republican, as he termed himself. Conversation is not exactly the correct word here. It consisted primarily of me listening and him talking about his beliefs. He complained bitterly about a former Middletown Democrat who had referred to Middletown as a "gay town," and was upset about how anyone could have voted for Whitehouse. He decried the welfare state and thought that people had to take more responsibility for themselves. We did have somewhat of a consensus on Iraq.

After 10 min. or so of this he commented on how Democrats have no morals and he was surprised that I did! I kept my mouth closed as he continued speaking but I wondered how he had come to that conclusion without any real dialogue. I was sitting in a popular gathering place with my son & husband. He had probably seen them with me before as the family went out campaigning. Everyone was finally more formally introduced. He issued an invitation to us and then said that sometimes he'd enjoy discussing political philosophy with me. I'm still rather dumbfounded. Is this what Republicans think of us? Democrats have no morals? Or is this more of a group-think? Like everyone things that the Legislature as a whole should be kicked out, but they all LOVE THEIR legislator.

In fact, our personal beliefs are probably surprsingly alike. The difference is that I do not feel the need to legislate my beliefs into law while damning those of different beliefs or circumstances. Rely totaly on yourself with no government help? HELLO! My dad went to college during WW II (he was 4F - deaf in one ear). Thanks to the state of Mass. he went to Worcester State Teachers' College for zip. I went to college with a combination of state scholarships (Maryland) and federal guaranteed loans which were forgiven for teaching in a federally impacted area. Some of my grad courses were gratis from the State of Rhode Island and URI or RIC. My husband & I purchased a home with a R.I. Housing mortgage. My baby rec'd free care & shots from R.I. My mom collected money for years as a widow from Soc. Sec. It also helped send my sis to college. Thank you to Medicare & Medicaid.

I could go on & on here, but you get my drift. Thank you for the living wage (remember that?) and the non-discrimination act. That, among many other things (and people), certainly helped launch me in my career. I look forward to conversing with him again. I'm still not quite sure what makes OTHER Democrats (certainly not me) immoral. We're all in this together. We'd better learn to row together or surely we will all go down together.