Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sore Feet & What's on Voter's Minds in the 12th

State Senate candidates have to get 100 valid signatures (from THEIR district) on their nomination papers in 10 days. They are all due this Fri. Too bad the papers aren't issued BEFORE the Fourth, but that would make it just TOO easy.

The #1 complaint is : (drum roll) PROPERTY TAXES. The surprising #2 among seniors is COLLEGE COSTS. They remember how much it cost to send their kids & are shocked & resentful over current costs for their grandchildren. While they all had health concerns, I didn't hear any complaints. Non-seniors complained about how we fund education primarily through property taxes and THEY complainted about health insurance costs.

But I'm not done yet & have helpers, so I'll see what they all have to say at the end of this week. I've learned to speak less & listen more. I'm also lucky that I have family members to help!

P.S. To other candidates out there looking for signatures: I LOVE TRAILER PARKS, esp. those geared to seniors! It's also a MUST to have a walking list (listing of voters by Party & street) which saves time & promo materials. Mr. & Mrs. Paiva (Teresa Paiva-Weed's parents) live in the 12th! I saw Teresa at the Portuguese Festival in Touro Park. Good place for Portuguese girls (well, I'm half).
PPS. My opposition thought 2 yrs. ago that property taxes should be HIGHER! Wonder what she says now???

1 comment:

Carl Sheeler For Senate said...

I feel your pain times 10! I've been hearing alot of frustration over immigration.

My bus trips have been #1 Housing costs; #2 Property Taxes; #3 Absence of representative government.

I'll write more after a soak, but would share what I heard time and again at the art fair and relate it to my travels on the bus....

Titled "Canary in the Economic Coal Mine"

You don't need Alan Greenspan to tell you that many folks riding the bus do so for economic reasons and they're saying things are not improving, but getting worse. I note this, but when sellers at the art show share the same sentiment that those with discretionary dollars are spending less, then the fiscal erosion is experienced by the middle class as well.

The cost of bad collection and allocation of taxes and resources has clearly created a sense of angst that's replacing fear.

Hopefully, folks will see the litmus test will be whether their sense of imbalance ought to result in their taking specific action.

We'll see on 9/12 and 11/7.