Friday, March 20, 2009

Cookbook Signing at Bliss Market

Meet Jeannette Bessinger at the book signing event and ticketed dinner on Friday at Bliss Natural Grocer and Café, 311 Broadway in Newport. From 6 to 7 p.m. she will be signing books and offering a free organic wine tasting with a selection of healthy hors d’oeuvres and green and organic wines from Bellevue Wine and Spirits. The dinner follows at 7:30 p.m. and the cost is $35 for the four-course meal, which includes spring sangria, Waldorf salad, Persian-style Chicken with Walnut, Onion and Pomegranate Sauce and chocolate berry parfaits. For tickets or information, call Bliss at (401) 608-2322.

I know Jeannette (she used to live in Newport) & think that she is an outstanding teacher & holistic counselor (http://www.balanceforlifellc.com/aboutjeannette.html). She teaches courses at the Hospital knowing that to help others"to create a thriving lifestyle, to make permanent changes in regular daily habits, a successful approach must address body, mind and spirit at the foundation." She is just a generally interesting person. She has two cookbooks out- "Simple Food for Busy Families" and "The Healthiest Meals on Earth" with Dr. Jonny Bowden. Three recipes are featured in Projo & another website http://www.realfoodmoms.com/ for purchasing meal kits.

I learned a LOT from her about nutrition & overall health & well-being. I'm a lot fussier about what I eat now & what I purchase. I also learned how to de-stress. Alas, despite her best efforts & cooking demonstration, I still really DISLIKE cooked greens. It must be an acquired taste. But I can eat them without gagging- that's progress.

Her roasted chicken recipe sounds especially good, although I don't have the called-for clay roaster. The clay roaster bit does sound intriguing. I know it certainly makes a difference in my bread baking. You didn't know that I did that, did you? I'm somewhat scattered in my interests- to say the least.

Bliss Grocers & Cafe is a popular place to eat & maybe I'll purchase my roasting chicken there. It does feature a few groceries- but not many. Mostly good food to eat there, take-home, and some meats. And it's actually in the DISTRICT!

Thanks to Projo's Gail Ciampa and there's more from Gillis at NDN.