Friday, June 20, 2008

Immigration Meeting in Newport

I was not able to make the gathering Thurs. nt. at St. Joe's (Newport). Fortunately, I have friends.

Local clergy were present including Father Frank from Jesus Savior (Newport), Father McKenna from St. Lucy's, and Father Jack from St. Joe's among others. A number of lawyers provided free advice and info for the immigrants.

Some explained mistreatment by local police stopping them for having Brazil flag etc. It was explained to them how to treat a visit from officers at their door ( see bottom). It was also noted (by a legal immigrant) as an example of why America is such a great country. Only in America can you have a meeting with undocumented immigrants in a basement of a church across the street from a police station!

Thanks to my correspondent. The attachment follows. Remember, these are their Constitutional rights. You know- the document the Supreme Court just reinforced. Next Thursday is another meeting.

If local, state, federal, or immigration officers come to your door do not open the door. Say:

"I do not wish to speak with you or answer your questions based on my Fifth Amendment rights under the U.S. Constitution.

I do not give you permission to enter my home based on my Fourth Amendment rights under the U.S. Constitution.

I will only permit you to enter my home if you show me a warrant signed by a judge or magistrate.

If you have a search warrant please tell me & slide it under the door.

No comments: