Thursday, September 14, 2006

District 12 Primaries

It was a bruising Primary, especially the Democratic one here in Middletown. I’m optimistic that the Democrats can move beyond this and work together for the benefit of all.

In Newport, I had more than 48% of the vote (when compared with my Republican opponent). I rec’d a higher percentage than those competing for Secretary of State, Lt. Gov., and even Sheldon Whitehouse (and spent $0 on tv ads).

Tiverton awarded me 36% of the vote. This was a comparable percentage to Fogarty & higher than that of Roberts or the Secretary candidates. No local primaries don’t encourage high voter turnout.

Little Compton with low Democratic turnout gave me 23% of the vote. This area was awarded to my opponent to gerrymander the district for her benefit. And so far it’s worked! Here, too, I received a higher percentage of votes than other statewide candidates with only 28 fewer votes than Fogarty.

Middletown gave me 46% of the votes. More than Whitehouse, Roberts, deRamel, & close to Fogarty percentage wise. If my opponent isn’t feeling my breath on her neck, she’s not paying attention.

Overall, I’m greatly encouraged by the results. Lots of hard work ahead!

To those who were “victory challenged.” Be encouraged by the fact that you gave us all choice. You helped make the system work by making all the candidates work harder. Not much comfort now, but it will be. Rest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

od Luck Eilieen!

Anonymous said...

That should say GOOD

Anonymous said...

Thanks. "od" works for me, too. I ain't that fussy. I've learned to take compliments wherever & however I can find them!