Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Bring the R.I. National Guard Home

It's time. The Guard's job is AT HOME. That's what they were trained to do. That's what they were told they were going to do. That's what they've been equipped to do.

Remember the old ads that showed the Guard HELPING fellow citizens? Remember ONE weekend a month & TWO weeks of active duty? I am pro-military. Hey, I live in a Navy town. My husband is a Vietnam-era vet. My Uncle survived the Battle of the Bulge. But no more for the Guard. I want them home. Now.

I remember during Vietnam when many Governor's refused to federalize their troops (the rules have now been changed). Like in Texas, where George volunteered for service.

It's time for states to start saying, "No!" My opponent was a key member of the Bush-Cheney re-election campaign. So where does she stand now?

We also should be questioning OUR guard being sent to border patrol duty in the southwest. Even California's Guv, "The Terminator" questions this & says it is only a temporary solution. He is sending some troops, but HALF the requested number.

It's hurricane season here. What happens to our island & coastal district if there is one and our Guard is elsewhere? Suppose that recent oil barge fire hadn't been controlled quite so easily? There are currently at least 200 Guard redeployed overseas. I could not find the exact number (would appreciate correct #). I'd certainly vote YES for a resolution to bring our Guard troops home. This is where they belong.

1 comment:

Carl Sheeler For Senate said...

I agree. The mission for stability is vague at best and not worth losing more good lives and destroying many families in the process. If it has to be a choice betwen my fellow countrymen or not, our troops will always come first to keep their lives and honor intact.