Thursday, May 18, 2006

Small Farms Survive in Newport County & District 12


The "Newport Daily News" did a good article on some small farms producing foodstuffs for the market. When the season starts you can find them all in the Sat. open air market (Aquidneck Growers' Market) at Newport Vineyards on East Main Rd., Middletown, and in Newport on Wed. This is the time to buy a farm share. I do & love it! A full share is more than enough for my family of 4. The food is good, fresh, & often organic. Farm shares are available from "Manic Organic "& "Simmons Farm." You get a large box every week. It's like Christmas! I've tried all kinds of new foods (yum, husk cherries) & some old favorites. Sorry, I don't think that I'll ever enjoy "greens." Recipes are also sometimes included. Different farms offer slightly different items. Simmons also has eggs, chicken, ground beef, & goat cheese.

"Sweet Berry Farms" is now open, but no fresh local strawberries yet. Lots of other good stuff, though, inc. a bakery & greenhouse items. Leave comments on farms/stands that I've missed. I know there are some good ones out in Little C. & Tiverton. Not sure if they are open yet.
P.S.: The Aquidneck Growers market is holding a plant sale May 20 & 21 at Browns Wharf from 11 to 4 with other vendors.

No comments: